Temperatures across the country are plunging this week as winter leaves a trail of freezing weather. You can wear your finest winter gear, but not too long because, Black girl magic is bringing a heatwave in 2016. We are exactly one week into the New Year and already Black women are casting a fiery spell of exuberance.
Can you feel the heat?
This week alone, Black women in various industries have repeatedly proven why we are a dynamic force to be reckoned with.
1. Eighteen women of color graced the prestigious Forbes 30 under 30 list including Blavity founder,CEO Morgan DeBaun.
Did you hear me? My boss is making power moves.
2. Dr. Hadiyah-Nicole Green, assistant professor at Tuskegee University won a $1.1 million cancer research grant.
3. #BlackLivesMatters co-founders, Alicia Garza, Opal Tometi and Patrisse Cullors are named 40 Under 40, for their contributions to the modern day revolution of civil rights.
4. Brandy returned to television with Zoe Ever After.
It was like watching Moesha Mitchell be grown, ya’ll.
5. Essence released a preview of its Black Girl Magic Class of 2016. Three separate covers, with dynamic talent.
6. We got a first look at Lupita Nyong’o in her latest role, Disney’s The Queen of Katwe.
7. Pinterest hired Candice Morgan, a woman of color to lead the charge as its diversity chief.
8. Stephanie Ready becomes a part of broadcast history as one of two female sports analysts to ever work the same NBA game.
9. Solange interviews Amandla Stenberg for Teen Vogue.
10. The Queen issued a double dose of slayage: It was announced that Beyoncé will rock the stage with Coldplay at Super Bowl 50…
11. And Bey gave a surprise performance on Lip Sync Battle with Channing Tatum.
25 seconds of Bey? Unfair.
Bonus: Netta is hinting at more to round out the week.
There’s another #BlackGirlMagic surprise in the morning.
— Johnetta Elzie (@Nettaaaaaaaa) January 8, 2016
And what about the everyday working Black girls crushing it? We see you, too. Black women are snatching victories left and right. Seeing us make headlines in all shades of beauty, daring to live boldly in our skin is more than a movement; it’s a lifestyle. Wear your #BlackGirlMagic relentlessly in all you do. The world can’t take their eyes off of us even if they wanted to. The spell is just that magnetic.
Game on 2016.