It's been 54 years since the assassination of Malcolm X on February 21, 1965. The revolutionary changed the course of human rights activism with his profound reflections on societal hypocrisies, oppression, and his most notable affirmation that we ought to fight for freedom
by any means necessary. We're remembering his legacy with these poignant and timeless words that he shared with the world.
1. "Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today."
2. "…by any means necessary"
3. "I have no fear…"
4. "You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."
5. "The future belongs to those who prepare for it today."
6. "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
7. "I will never say that progress is being made. If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. They won't even admit the knife is there."
8. “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
9. “If someone puts their hands on you make sure they never put their hands on anybody else again.”
10. "The most neglected person in America is the black woman."
11. “If you're not ready to die for it, take the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary.” 12. “We cannot think of being acceptable to others until we have first proven acceptable to ourselves.” 13. Malcom X on the criminality of teaching someone to hate themselves…
14. "I will join in with anyone — I don't care what color you are — as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this earth"
15.“My alma mater was books, a good library…. I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.”