A 12-Year-Old Ohio Boy Is Dead After Participating In The Viral TikTok 'Blackout Challenge'
The "blackout challenge" has been responsible for the deaths of 15 children ages 12 or younger in the past 18 months.
December 14, 2022 at 4:00 am
An Ohio mother is grieving the loss of her 12-year-old son who died after participating in the viral TikTok “blackout challenge.” Blavity previously reported on the challenge in which participants try to make themselves pass out by holding their breath or choking themselves. This result is them cutting off their air supply.
According to Cleveland.com, Tristan Casson’s mother, Taylor Davis, called Richmond Heights police sometime before 9:30 p.m. She said that her other sons found their non-responsive brother in his bedroom and then FaceTimed her. Davis said she was not far from home.
“They called me and said, ‘Mom, Tristan is dead,’ and I just started to panic,” she told Cleveland.com. “He’s like ‘Tristan is dead, Tristan is dead,’ and I’m like what are talking about, and so he turned the camera around, I could see Tristan’s face.”
Paramedics were called and rushed Casson to Hillcrest Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The police chief of Richmond Heights, Thomas Wetzel, and Mayor Kim Thomas, expressed their condolences to the family. Wetzel stated an official investigation into the young boy’s death is underway. However, The News-Herald reports that the cause of death is suspected to be death by suicide due to asphyxiation.