Ice Cube Backed Out From Comedy Film 'Oh Hell No' Due To Vaccine Mandate, Source Says
Hollywood guilds and studios agreed that producers can mandate vaccines for casts and crew.
October 29, 2021 at 10:40 pm
Ice Cube, who was expected to star in the upcoming comedy movie Oh Hell No, backed out from the project after he was asked to get the COVID-19 vaccine, an unnamed source told The Hollywood Reporter. According to the source, Ice Cube would have made $9 million while working on the film alongside Jack Black.
The Sony film, which was scheduled to begin shooting this winter in Hawaii, faced another hurdle earlier this year when Black injured himself while filming a stunt for the last episode of Conan. While Black remains with the project, the producers are now looking to replace Ice Cube, the source said.
The 52-year-old also backed out from his role in the boxing movie Flint Strong earlier this year. It's not clear why he left the project.
In July, Hollywood guilds and studios agreed that producers can mandate vaccines for casts and crew in Zone A, the area on set where cast and crew work in close proximity. Still, some Hollywood members have disputed the mandate.
Cube has not publicly opposed the vaccine. However, he has been a strong advocate for masks. In April, he sold t-shirts that featured an image of himself wearing a face covering, Complex reports. “Check Yo Self Before You Wreck Yo Self,” the message on the shirts stated. Proceeds from the sales went to health workers.
The actor also donated 2,000 face masks to students at Bacone College in Muskogee, Oklahoma.