Race & Identity
27 Things we felt while watching Black-ish take on police brutality
ABC’s Black-ish made a brave choice to discuss police brutality on Wednesday night’s episode
The show centered around the fictional killing of a black teen by police officers and the real frustrations the Johnson family feels with the justice system’s response to the killing. The episode is marked by arguing, confusion, anger and devastation as the family debates this very emotional issue. Folks took to Twitter to share their feelings about the episode. Here are some of the reactions that so perfectly capture how it felt to watch Black-ish address police brutality
1. This episode was the epitome of when keeping it real goes right
This is the realest episode ever lol. Poprocks #blackish— Thunder (@JayTheQuad) February 25, 2016'
2. Realer than reality TV actually
People are obsessed with "reality" TV but then outraged when a show focuses on an actual issue #blackish — Olivia Green (@ogreen87) February 25, 2016 ''
3. It was moving
Tonight's "black-ish" (police brutality and The Talk) is a stunner: bold, real, and more moving than the show has been yet.— James Poniewozik (@poniewozik) February 24, 2016'
4. Some say it was even epic
Blackish has to be one of the most important shows on tv not only for African Americans but for everyone #Blackish #tonightwasEpic — iammeallday (@iam_me_allday) February 25, 2016 ''
5. Its best moments had to be savored
6. It showed the sitcom’s power...
With tonight's ep, after n-word and gun eps, #Blackish is clearly our sharpest, best sitcom right now
Like what you're reading?
Get more in your inbox.
— Thad Ogburn (@thadogburn) February 25, 2016 ''
7. Reminding people of the importance of diversity in media
Wow! #blackish is the #1 topic on Twitter right now. See what excellence in diversity entertainment can do?— Aaron T. Starks (@StarkyLuv73) February 25, 2016'
8. People showed off their pride for the show
in 3 weeks i want a PBnJ smash from ALL who was side-eyein me about #Blackish in the beginning. tried to told y'all this was the jawn!!!!!! — Questlove Gomez (@questlove) February 25, 2016 ''
9. It addressed hopelessness but gave hope
10. It reminded us to cheer “Black Lives Matter” from the rooftops
An open letter #blackish #blacklivesmatter ✨✨ pic.twitter.com/M3ZKr69rty — Yara shahidi (@YaraShahidi) February 25, 2016 ''
11. The show acknowledged that there is a war going on
No one wants a war on police we just want the war against us to end #Blackish— Yukio Strachan (@boldandworthy) February 25, 2016'
12. And people just want the war to end
it seems people are pissed #blackish addressed police brutality. I'm pissed because police brutality still needs to be addressed — scanderish (@sandieb1966) February 25, 2016 ''
13. It brought us back to this historical moment and reminded us that we all collectively held our breath
14. The episode was historical in and of itself
We just witnessed an important moment of Network TV history. Bravo #blackish. and THANK YOU @black_ishABC @BlackishWriters — Jeff (@JeffJSays) February 25, 2016 ''
15. It highligthed the importance of discussing police brutality with the family
16. It captured our excellence
Black excellence #Blackish #blacklivesmatter # pic.twitter.com/Ko5gfdDjf4 — Yara shahidi (@YaraShahidi) February 25, 2016 ''
17. And how the point is to not give up
18. It had us in our feelings
RT @whipclip: #BLACKISH is making us tear up, y'all. Don't just watch this clip, watch the episode. #Refocushttps://t.co/SfFJqvGvBO — ZIMBABWE KID (@zimbabwekid) February 25, 2016 ''
19. We may have teared up a little bit...
RT this if Zoe made your allergies act up #blackish— Jeff (@JeffJSays) February 25, 2016'
20. ...or a lot
"Sometimes it's your children who give you hope" my life story.#blackish — Beautiful (@FeministaJones) February 25, 2016 ''
21. This episode forced us to reflect…
22. And reminded us to keep talking about these issues…
#Blackish showed genuine & approachable convo re: police brutality. We must continue these convos or it will have been a waste. #BHM — Sam White (@samwhiteout) February 25, 2016 ''
23. And encouraged us to keep taking action
A family that protests together, stays together. #Blackish— The Root (@TheRoot) February 25, 2016'
24. The episode is worth all the praise
Blackish won an Emmy tonight
25. The whole cast and crew deserve recognition
26. Of course, there was a bit of criticism...
Seems this #blackish show is gasping its last breath trying to get a race issue going.... work on the writing — Politics Jim (@PoliticsJim) February 25, 2016 '