23 Black Podcasts You Should Add to Your Playlist
June 09, 2015 at 5:30 am
On your way home but not looking forward to the long, boring commute? If you don’t want to read a book on the train or listen to music while you drive, then you definitely need to tune in to some podcasts to help the time pass.
Black people have a steadily-growing podcast presence, and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why. These voices are racking up their audience numbers because they are not only operating on the same cultural level as their audience, but they’re also witty, intellectually stimulating, funny and entertaining.
Listen to these 23 Black podcasts that have our attention right now! (In random order with podcast descriptions from the iTunes Store).
1. Black Girls Talking — A podcast wherein four black women discuss pop culture, Beyonce and the pursuit of the perfect body oil.
2. She’s Beauty & the Beast— Tracy G spreads love and positivity to women around the world.
3. Black Girl Nerds — A podcast where girls of our ilk can express themselves freely and embrace who they are. This is not a show exclusively for Black women, but it is a show exclusively for Nerds! Haha!
4. The Read — Join bloggers Kid Fury and Crissle for their weekly “read” of hip-hop and pop culture’s most trying stars. Throwing shade and spilling tea with a flippant and humorous attitude, no star is safe from Fury and Crissle unless their name is Beyoncé. Or Blue Ivy.
5. Rantin’ and Ravin’ with Yamaneika and friends — Rantin’ and Ravin’ is the incredibly funny podcast hosted by the hilarious Yamaneika Saunders.
6. Gayle and Gayle — Everyone needs a BFF like Oprah’s ride-or-die chick Gayle King. Here on Gayle & Gayle, we (two smart black girls) talk love, pop culture, worldly and womanly things.
7. Friends Like Us — A podcast featuring women of color with very different views on Hot Topics.
8. Another Round with Heben and Tracy — Heben Nigatu and Tracy Clayton cover everything from race, gender and pop culture to squirrels, mangoes and bad jokes, all in one boozy show.
9. 2 Brown Girls — 2 Brown Girls is a pop culture, film and television podcast hosted by writers and critics Fariha Roisin and Zeba Blay.
10. Rembert Explains — Rembert Browne doesn’t actually explain much, but he does talk to interesting people about interesting things.
11. PostBourgie — A running, semi-orderly blog about race and gender and class and politics and media and whatever else we can think of. The PostBourgie podcast is the talk-y version of that.
12. For Colored Nerds — Each week, BFFs Brittany and Eric humorously deep-dive into the uncool topic of their choice while testing the outer limits of their friendship.
13. Mmhmm, Girl — 2 dope girls talking about everything and yo mama.
14. Neck of the Woods — Hosted by Black Twitter’s favorite cousin, blogger Freshalina invites listeners to take a seat on her front porch as she sounds off in her signature southern accent on hip-hop, pop culture and beyond. Neck of The Woods is a hilarious weekly wrap-up of everything ranging from ratchet to righteous.
16. The Combat Jack Show — The undisputed #1 HipHop podcast, The Combat Jack Show features interviews with HipHop icons & the most in-depth conversation about music, news, culture & race.
18. Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler — Join Aisha Tyler (Archer, Friends, Talk Soup) and her guests as they rant about stuff guys love: video games, action movies, comic books, sex, drinking, bar fights, and blowing sh*t up. Plus the weekly installments of self-inflicted wounds and ‘the apologia’. Girl on Guy: stuff.guys.love.
19. Afropop Worldwide — Your source for music and stories from the African planet. We explore the world through sound, from the ancient past to the cutting-edge present, combining music, history and culture.
20. Call Your Girlfriend — A podcast for long-distance besties everywhere. Co-hosted by your new BFFs Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow.
21. Black Astronauts Podcast — Friends that sit around talking tech, pop-culture, life, music, sex and everything in-between.
22. #AfterBlack — After the podcast there’s the After…er…podcast? Sometimes 1 hour just can’t hold BlackingItUp. Hence we have to #AFTERBLACK.
For the flagship podcast in TWiB.FM, check out the award-winning #TWiBPRIME.
23. Snap Judgment — The smoking hot new show from NPR. Winner of the Public Radio Talent Quest, Glynn Washington delivers a raw, musical brand of storytelling, daring listeners to see the world through the eyes of another.
For more content like this, subscribe to our weekly digest below.