Recently revealed audio from an internal investigation into the no-knock warrant that led to the killing of Breonna Taylor shows differing recounts of the night. In his retelling of the night's events, Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend, said an officer told him it was "unfortunate" he wasn't shot during the incident. 

The Louisville Metro Police Department’s Public Integrity Unit interviewed Walker and former Sgt. Jon Mattingly separately following the incident, reports NBC News. Walker, who was interviewed hours after the raid and waived his rights to an attorney, said he and Taylor asked those knocking to identify themselves multiple times.

"It's a loud boom at the door. First thing she said was, 'Who is it?' No response," Walker said according to ABC News.

The 27-year-old said they got out of bed and began getting dressed in order to approach the door.

"We both get up, start putting on clothes, another knock at the door. She's like, 'Who is it?' Loud, at the top of her lungs. No response," he said. "I grab my gun, which is legal. Like I'm licensed to carry, everything. I've never even fired my gun outside of a range. I'm scared to death."

Walker said that after hearing another knock, Taylor called out again “at the top of her lungs,” but there was still no response. Walker said as the two were walking toward the door, it “came off the hinge” and that he shot his handgun. He said the shot he fired was intended as a warning shot.

“I'm trying to protect her, she didn’t have a gun,” Walker said according to ABC 11.

After hearing multiple shots, the two dropped to the floor.

Walker said he didn’t realize those coming into the apartment were police officers until after he fired, reports CNN. When he was in police custody, one officer asked him if he had been shot. When Walker replied no, the officer said "that's unfortunate," according to Walker's recount with investigators.

During his interview with investigators, Mattingly said the officers did announce themselves multiple times before ramming Taylor’s door. He said the officers executing the warrant were told to knock despite the warrant ordering otherwise.

"I verbally heard, 'We have it signed as a no-knock, but we're not going to go that route,'" Mattingly said.

He said he knocked on the door repeatedly.

"I probably banged on the door six or seven different time periods," Mattingly said. "Seems like an eternity when you're up at a doorway. It probably lasted between 45 seconds and a minute."

The officer, who has since been fired, said after receiving no response to the knocking, they identified themselves.

"We banged on it, no response," Mattingly said. "Banged on it again, no response. At that point, we started announcing ourselves. 'Police! Please come to the door! Police! We have a search warrant!'"

Mattingly said the officers waited for "more than enough time for the average person, or even a disabled person, to get to the door in that small apartment” before breaking the door down.

Differing from Walker’s account, Mattingly said the door did not come off the hinges.

LMPD investigator Jason Vance said Taylor’s house was a “soft target,” meaning the officers did not expect much resistance.

"That's what kind of made you all come up with the original, 'Hey, we're just going to knock, try to get her to the door,' you know, the most passive way to serve the warrant," Vance said.

Mattingly, who was interviewed nine days after being released from the hospital, agreed with Vance. He had a lawyer present during the interview.

After forcefully entering the residence, Mattingly recalled seeing Walker and Taylor laying on the ground next to each other in the hallway and a gun in Walker’s hand.

"I could see enough to see a male on the right. A female on the left. Could identify their faces,” Mattingly said. "But I could actually see the handgun in his hand. I remember seeing the barrel of that soon as we turned that corner."

Mattingly said he’s grateful he didn’t turn his gun light on because he believes it would have made him more of a target. After he realized he had been shot, Mattingly fired back.

"So I just returned fire. I got four rounds off," he said.

After firing the four rounds, Mattingly returned outside to await medical attention. Mattingly said while he was outside he could hear more shots.

The investigator questioning Mattingly described the raid as “the most passive way in” and said Mattingly “rightfully” fired shots after Walker hit him.

Officers were told Taylor should be home alone because they knew the main suspect in the drug raid, Jamarcus Glover, would be somewhere else.

Mattingly said they were told Taylor had received packages at her home for Glover and was possibly holding drugs and receiving money for him.

Walker said that an officer described the incident as a misunderstanding while they were on the way to the police station.

"It seems like to me they realized they were at the wrong place," Walker said.

Sam Aguiar, the attorney for Taylor's family, said the warrant was based on "erroneous information" and that the police department has been working to cover up Taylor's death. 

"The recorded statements of Kenny Walker and Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly released today clearly reveal that there has been a conspiracy to cover up Breonna's killing since day one," he said in a statement according to ABC News.