You must try this delicious Spanish tortilla with spinach
October 06, 2015 at 11:30 am
When we hear the word “tortilla,” we often think of all the happy times Chipotle has brought us throughout the years. Allow me to introduce you to the Spanish tortilla, a delectable egg dish that is sure to please at potlucks, date nights, and everything in between. It can be served hot or cold and as a main or side dish, making it very versatile.
The traditional dish from across the pond also goes by the name “Spanish omelette” and is made with only eggs and potatoes, and sometimes onions depending on the region. Here, I give you the recipe with a twist to add more veggies.
The Spanish tortilla with spinach will take about 30 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to cook.
- 10 eggs
- 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about a 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 bag fresh spinach (or 2 frozen packs)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well and cook the potatoes until they start to brown, about 10-12 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to the eggs.
3. Once the potatoes are tender in the middle, remove them from the pan. Add more olive oil and reduce heat to medium. Sauté garlic for two minutes, then add spinach. Cook spinach all the way through, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and add to potatoes.
4. Add potato-spinach mixture to the eggs. Mix gently to make an even distribution.
5. Put the rest of the olive oil in the pan and set to medium-high heat. Add mixture to the skillet and carefully stir eggs until they start to stick to the pan.
6. Once eggs have started to form a bottom layer, use a wooden spoon to push them to the center, creating a circle (like an omelette). Lower heat to medium to allow center to cook, 6-8 minutes.
7. After tortilla is cooked halfway through, take a plate and place it on top of the pan. Take an oven mitt and hold the plate while you flip the pan to transfer the tortilla. Slide the tortilla back into the pan to allow the other side to cook. Raise to medium heat for two minutes. Cook another 6-8 minutes on medium heat, or until the middle is completely cooked through. If you like a crispier top and bottom, flip twice more and cook on each side on medium-high heat for two minutes each.
8. Remove from pan and serve immediately. You can also let it chill and serve as a cold side dish or appetizer. Enjoy!
Bonus tip: You can also prepare this dish in the oven for a thicker tortilla; just add four more eggs and use a greased round cake pan. Stick in the oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the middle is cooked through.