Homemade Soft Pretzels (via sprinklesomesugar.com)
What You'll Need:2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast 1 cup warm water 1 tbs unsalted butter, melted 1 tsp sugar 1 tsp salt 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 cups water 4 tbs baking soda 1 tbs coarse salt, for sprinkling on top 6 tbs salted butter, melted
Directions:Photo: Justtaste.com 1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and line a large baking sheet or two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine yeast with warm water and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Once mixture becomes "frothy" your yeast is ready. Stir in salt and melted butter. Add flour 1 cup at a time until a dough forms and is no longer sticky.
3. Knead dough for 5 more minutes until smooth and pliable. Form dough into a ball and place it back into the bowl to rest for 15 minutes. During this time, prepare baking soda bath.
4. In a medium sized pot, boil 2 cups of water with 4 tbs of baking soda. Once the baking soda is mostly dissolved, take mixture off heat and allow it to come down to a lukewarm temperature. Pour into a 9x9 baking dish once cooled down.
5. Take dough out of the bowl and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Cut dough into 8 sections (like a pizza). Roll each triangle into a long rope, about 19-20 inches long.
6. Shape dough into pretzel shape and place in baking soda bath for 2 minutes. If the whole pretzel isn't covered by the water, spoon it on top of the areas is doesn't reach.
7. Carefully, pick pretzel up either by your hand or with the help of a fork and place on prepared baking sheet. You may have to re-shape slightly. Sprinkle the pretzel with coarse salt while still wet.
8. Repeat these steps until all 8 pretzels are prepared and on the baking sheet.
9. Bake pretzels for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and brush heavily with melted butter.
Mozzarella-Stuffed Soft Pretzels (via thefoodcharlatan.com)
What You'll Need:1 1/2 cups warm water 1 tablespoon sugar 1 tablespoon active dry yeast 2 teaspoons salt 4 1/2 cups flour 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 10 cups water 2/3 cup baking soda 16-18 mozzarella cheese sticks 2 tablespoons butter, melted coarse sea salt or kosher salt, for sprinkling
1. Combine the water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
2. Add the salt, flour, and butter. Combine with a spoon or the paddle until it start to come together, then switch to the dough hook. Mix with the dough hook on low speed until well combined.
3. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 5 minutes. You may need to add a bit more flour, but be aware that this is a pretty soft dough. You should be able to touch it without it being impossible to get off your fingers, though.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size. I like to put mine in an oven that has been turned to 170 (warm) for about a minute, then turned off.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 (make sure you take out the dough first if that's where it's rising!)
6. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
7. In a large pot, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil. Turn it down to medium or medium low, so that the water remains vey hot but isn't bubbling a ton.
8. Meanwhile, knead down the dough, turn it out onto a slightly floured work surface, and divide into 16 equal pieces.
9. Use your hands to roll out each piece of dough into a rope that's about 16-18-inches long.
10. Starting at one end, wrap the dough around the string cheese, pinching each end together so that it's sealed. Place onto the pan and repeat with the remaining dough and cheese.
11. Place the pretzels into the hot water two at a time and boil for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat slotted spatula. Return the boiled pretzel dogs to the pan.
12. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops are very brown.
13. Brush immediately with melted 2 tablespoons of butter, then sprinkle right away with salt. Serve hot with marinara or mustard!
Pretzel Pigs in a BlanketPhoto: Tumblr
Here's What You'll Need:1 package little smokies or 1 package mini hot dogs 2 cans Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust or crescent rolls 1/3 cup dijon mustard 10 cups water 2/3 cup baking soda 1 egg 1 Tbsp water coarse sea salt
Directions:Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a large pot, combine 10 cups water and baking soda. Bring to a boil. 1. Unroll both cans of the dough and separate into 16 triangles. 2. Spread a heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard on each triangle. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles. 3. Place sausage on wide side of each triangle. Roll up. 4. Using tongs or a strainer, dip each wrapped sausage into boiling water for 5-7 seconds. Place dipped sausages on parchment lined baking sheet. 5. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp water. Brush on dipped sausages. Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt. 6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites (via cookingclassy.com)Photo: Twistednoodle.co
Here's What You'll Need:1 can Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust or crescent rolls 1/3 cup baking soda 1 egg, slightly beaten 1/2 cup butter, melted 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon Cream Cheese Dipping Sauce 4 oz cream cheese, softened 2 Tbsp butter, softened 1 cup powdered sugar 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 2 Tbsp heavy cream
Directions:1. Heat oven to 450°F. 2. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. 3. Unroll dough on lightly floured work surface. 4. Roll each piece into a rope and cut into 1 inch pieces. 5. Place on cookie sheet. 6. In 4-quart saucepan, heat 5 cups water and the baking soda to boiling. 7. Drop dough knots, 6 at a time, into boiling water. 8. Cook 30 seconds or until dough looks slightly puffy and dimpled. 9. Using slotted spoon, remove knots from water and return to cookie sheet, placing then about 1/2 inch apart. 10. Bake for 7 minutes or until golden brown. As soon as you're able to handle them, roll pretzel bites in the remaining 6 tbs of melted butter, toss with cinnamon sugar and serve. Enjoy!
What's your favorite way to enjoy a pretzel? Let us know in the comments below!