- advertisement -
Posted under: News

R. Kelly Put On The Performance Of A Lifetime In First Interview Following New Charges Of Sexual Abuse

"Y'all trying to kill me," he screams to the camera.

R. Kelly claimed he did not commit any of the sexual abuse crimes he's being accused of during an interview with CBS' Gayle King. 

The R&B singer sat down with King on Wednesday morning in his first interview since facing multiple charges of sexual abuse following the premiere of the Lifetime documentary Surviving R. Kelly. The artist, whose full name is Robert Kelly, joined the host on CBS This Morning where he addressed the alleged acts that led to his early February arrest in Chicago.

Following the premiere of the Lifetime docu-series, there was a renewed interest in pursuing legal action against the singer. In the series, multiple women shared harrowing accounts of alleged sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of the 52-year-old. The allegations span decades. 

Kelly, who is facing indictment for 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse involving three minors out of a total of four women, told King he is not a "monster."

“Hate me if you want to, love me if you want,” the Chicago native said. “But just use your common sense. How stupid would it be for me, with my crazy past and what I’ve been through — oh, right now I just think I need to be a monster, hold girls against their will, chain them up in my basement, and don’t let them eat, don’t let them out!”

As Blavity previously reported, Kelly's bond was set at $1 million following his arrest, which required him to post a $100,000 bond. He pleaded not guilty of all charges before being released from jail on February 25. A woman claiming to be his friend fronted the money for his temporary freedom. 

“I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me," he continued tearfully. "I’m fighting for my life!”

Blavitize your inbox! Join our daily newsletter for fresh stories and breaking news.

Celebrity lawyer Michael Avenatti reportedly gave two videos of a previously unseen sex tape to prosecutors featuring Kelly and an underaged girl. He also shared that a third video includes another underaged girl he says may have been between 13 and 16.

“Everybody says something bad about me,” Kelly stated about the Surviving R. Kelly docu-series. “Nobody said nothing good. They was describing Lucifer. I’m not Lucifer. I’m a man. I make mistakes, but I’m not a devil. And by no means am I a monster.”

Back in 2008, Kelly was acquitted on all charges of child pornography following a 27-minute sex tape with an underage girl. When directly asked about his previous allegations of sexual involvement with minors, Kelly referenced his acquittal, deeming the resurfacing of allegations an unfair case of "double jeopardy."

“I don’t look at much younger than me. I just look at legal,” Kelly said when asked about the age gap between himself and the women. 

Despite Kelly's vehement denials, the interview escalated when he stood up screaming to the camera, "y'all trying to kill me." 

K. 

Peep the reactions throughout Twitter: 

Head to CBS News to watch the full interview. 

Now, check these out:

R. Kelly Is Now Under Criminal Investigation In Georgia

R. Kelly Is Reportedly Working On A Website Titled 'Surviving Lies' To Discredit His Accusers

Queen Latifah Says She's Still Standing By Jussie Smollett Until She Sees 'Definitive Proof' Of A Hoax

- advertisement -
Los Angeles based freelance writer, poet, self-care hippie and reformed cat lady.