Parenting is difficult. It's not uncommon to wonder if you're doing things right — are your kids learning enough or are they well-mannered? Do they know how important they are and will they be productive members of society? Are they being exposed to enough diversity? The questions and self-doubt are endless...and totally normal!
In thinking a lot about their early years, I couldn't help but to laugh at some of the things I have taught my children from a mom's perspective without even realizing it! Check them out below
Like what you're reading? Get more in your inbox.
Welcome to the family! Check your inbox for your confirmation.
You don’t know everything.
You can’t pull the wool over my eyes.
Photo: uriel3. What I say, goes.
4. The less you speak, the more you learn. Listen up kiddies!
Health is wealth (i.e., sleep, water, nutrition, exercise).
Children have a voice, too.
When your mom keeps calling you, don’t answer with, “What?” Instead, answer, “Yes mom?”
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
We are keeping tabs on everything you do, and will always be worried sick.
Everything can be turned into a learning experience.
What #GrowingUpBlack truly means
14. Respect the property of others.
15. Have all your ducks in a row before pitching to mom.
16. Stand your ground. You tried it though...
17. Moms can be cool too, sometimes. But we’re still not one of your “little friends.”
18. Critical-thinking skills
19. The “village” will come for you when you’re cutting up.
20. Early life lessons
21. You are EVERYTHING.
Photo: The Help
22. Be true; be you.
23. You go to school to learn.
24. You can't always get your way.
Photo: quickmeme25. Again, I'm your parent. Not your friend.
26. Time-outs for both parties are good for the soul.
27. Your parents have your back, always.
28. Nobody is perfect.
I hope this made you smile. And for all the moms (and dads) out there, I'm sure you're doing just fine. Give yourselves some credit.
Blavity is a community of the most exceptional multi-cultural creators and influencers in the world. We partner with diverse content creators and influencers to help them reach a wider audience, amplify their message, and fund their hustles. We believe that the world shifts according to the way people see it— and if you change the way people view the world, you can transform it. A subsidiary of Blavity, Inc.