8 Of The Most Out-Of-Pocket Statements From Donald Trump's First SOTU Speech
Time for a fact check.
January 31, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Donald Trump's first State of the Union Address on Tuesday was anything but revolutionary.
However, he did stay on script. But in doing so, he used people of color as props and made outrageous claims that had us all side-eyeing, including the Congressional Black Caucus.
Here are a few issues with Trump's State of the Union speech.
1. "Over the last year, we have made incredible progress and achieved extraordinary success."
“Each day since, we have gone forward with a clear vision and a righteous mission — to make America great again for all Americans,” Trump said.
O RLY? For ALL Americans?
2. "To everyone still recovering in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, California, and everywhere else – we are with you, we love you, and we will pull through together."
Puerto Rico is currently experiencing the longest blackout in U.S. history with 20 percent of the island still without power. Not to mention, FEMA plans to stop distributing food and water supplies at the end of January.
3. "After years of wage stagnation, we are finally seeing rising wages."
Wrong. Wage growth is slowing from President Obama’s last year of office, per The New York Times.
4. "And just as I promised the American people from this podium 11 months ago, we enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history."
False. The December tax cut is not the biggest in American history nor is it anything to brag about. Trump's is the eighth largest cut since 1918 and is smaller than the two cuts Congress passed under President Obama.
5. "We repealed the core of disastrous Obamacare – the individual mandate is now gone."
No, it's not. The architecture of the law still remains with its marketplaces, insurance regulations and expansion of Medicaid.
6."…we salute our flag, why we put our hands on our hearts for The Pledge of Allegiance, and why we proudly stand for the national anthem."
It wouldn't be a Trump speech if he didn't mention those who have exercised their right to protest.
7. "African-American unemployment stands at the lowest rate ever recorded, and Hispanic American unemployment has also reached the lowest levels in history."
Black unemployment has been decreasing since 2011, long before Trump was in the White House. But sure, take credit from Obama.
8. “Under the current broken system, a single immigrant can bring in virtually unlimited numbers of distant relatives.”
There is no wait for U.S. citizens to bring spouses, children under 21 and parents. But they must petition for siblings and adult children. Not to mention, Trump dangerously conflated immigration with criminality.
9. 'Americans are dreamers too.'
Trump slapped Democrats and all Dreamers in America, who have been relentlessly fighting for protection, with this statement. The audacity!
Stephen Colbert outlined issues with the speech on The Late Show. In a 13-minute clip, we can see why many were less than impressed with Trump's first State of the Union.