The Houston community is in mourning after it was announced on Wednesday morning that 13-year-old Kashala Francis had died at Texas Children’s Hospital.

Three girls attacked the middle school student after leaving Attucks Middle School Thursday. She came home to her mother with bruises on her face, but she told her mother she was fine. Days later, she fell unconscious and was taken to the hospital. Unfortunately, doctors at Texas Children’s Hospital found a large tumor in the back of her head.

Fluid had built up on her brain, and doctors still do not know whether it was the fight or the tumor that caused her death.

"All I know is, my daughter was perfect and fine before this fight, and now, I'm losing my baby," Kashala's distraught mother, Mamie Jackson, said to local news outlet KTRK. “I can see these girls kicking her in her head while other children are laughing at her.”

Blavitize your inbox! Join our daily newsletter for fresh stories and breaking news.

Video of the attack has circulated on Facebook, and two girls are seen kicking and punching Kashala before a third girl joins in to kick her in the head. 

Kashala began to act strange on Saturday when relatives reported that she seemed delusional. By Sunday, Kashala complained of being weak and having pain in her head.

"We found out she has a large tumor in the back of her head, and she had fluid buildup in her brain," Jackson told KTRK.

Both the city of Houston and Houston Independent School District's police departments are investigating Kashala's death as a homicide until an autopsy is done to determine the cause of death.

This incident comes only weeks after another middle school girl in South Carolina died days after suffering head injuries during a school fight.

In a statement, the Houston Independent School District (HISD) said it was "deeply saddened to learn of the death of one of our students."

"We extend our sincere condolences to the student's family, friends, teachers and classmates. Off-campus events that preceded the student's death are being investigated by the Houston Police Department, and HISD is cooperating," they told KTRK after Kashala's death was announced by her family.

Her family has started a fundraiser on Facebook to pay for the funeral.

Now, check these out:

Mother of RaNiya Wright Stunned By Police Claims That Wright Died From 'Natural Causes'

Burundi Schoolgirls Released After Being Jailed For Silly Prank

A Second Parkland Survivor Has Been Found Dead In Apparent Suicide