10 Things You Need to Know About the McKinney, TX Situation
June 08, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Don’t really follow the news? Been away from your computer or phone or social media in general lately? Yesterday news lit up with numerous videos and posts and updates about an incident in McKinney, TX where a police officer assaulted a 15-year-old Black girl after responding to a call reporting a pool party. He then proceeded to pull his gun on several unarmed teenagers. Sound like a lot? See below for the 10 things you need to know about the incident, what it’s sparked, and other related news.
1. Here‘s all that we know for sure about the McKinney, TX incident so far.
2. Tweets from the host of the party debunk rumors and place the event, confirm guest passes were limited and suggest police officers were called BEFORE the party.
3. The accessibility of American swimming pools has long had a troubling racial history long before the McKinney, TX incident.
4. McKinney, TX Chief condemns actions of Eric Casebolt and places him on administrative leave.
5. Important questions yet to be answered:
6. One of the teens at the pool party spoke out to clear up what sparked the fight between her and the older white woman.
7. Several Black celebrities have taken to Twitter to publicly react to the events in McKinney, TX.
And let's not simplify as being Texas like this is some surprise situation that came to light yesterday. Where have we been living?#McKinney
— Jussie Smollett (@JussieSmollett) June 8, 2015
In what world are both of these accepted? Ours. #McKinney pic.twitter.com/kXAQ5jVoPt
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) June 7, 2015
8. Even more specifically, several hip-hop artists have taken to various social media platforms to voice their own opinions on the proceedings.
An example, from Kevin Gates:
9. Another reminder that “American Justice” is selective:
Armed white kids storm TX Capitol, brag on FB, 0 arrests vs girl's pool party arrest in #McKinney. #WhitePrivilege: pic.twitter.com/DINxctAy61
— Casey (@pari_passu) June 8, 2015
10. Here’s who you can follow to stay updated:
You matter. Your voice matters. You are the movement.
Keep the fight. It'll take all of us to win.
— deray (@deray) June 8, 2015
11. (And a particularly heartwarming bonus) Young Adult authors respond to McKinney, TX.
For more content like this, subscribe to our weekly newsletter below.