15 Moments of Black History That Have Occurred Since The Last Black History Month
February 01, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Black History Month is here and it is important to highlight black excellence, and all the celebratory and historic moments in black history every year – and every day of the year. Black people, throughout the diaspora, have made positive impact in society through adversity.
Here are a few historical moments that went down since last Black History Month:
Kaepernick represented unapologetically for black lives. He used his high profile, as a professional football player, to take a stand against racial injustice by taking a knee during the national anthem.
2. Lena Waithe became the first black woman to win an Emmy for writing in a comedy series.
Waithe made history at the 69th Emmy Awards, for the "Thanksgiving" episode in Netflix series, "Master of None."
3. Jordan Peele made history with his movie 'Get Out.'
Peele became the first black writer-director to pass more than $100 million in earnings at the box office with his debut feature film.
4. 'Moonlight' became the first Best Picture Winner about an LGBTQ Character.
"Moonlight" directed and written by Barry Jenkins was based on a screenplay, "In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue," by Tarell Alvin McCraney. It made history, depicting black LGBTQ experiences. "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the 89th annual Academy Awards.
5. Andrea Jenkins became the first openly black transgender woman elected to political office in the United States.
Jenkins made history by winning a seat on the Minneapolis City Council.
6. Issa Rae made her unforgettable 'I'm rooting for everybody black' comment.
Despite the "Insecure" Emmy snub, the show's creator made an iconic comment on the red carpet, at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards, that turned into a monumental quote – not to mention a popular slogan for t-shirts.
7. Sheila Oliver became New Jersey's first black woman to assume statewide office.
Oliver made history when she took over as lieutenant governor of New Jersey.
8. Activist Tarana Burke's Me Too movement gained international attention.
Burke began the MeToo movement more than 10 years ago, before it became an online movement with the accompanying hashtag #MeToo. The movement helps survivors of sexual abuse. Burke's work, throughout the years, helped empower young women of color.
9. Tiffany Haddish made history as the first black female stand-up comic to host 'Saturday Night Live.'
She did that.
10. 'Girls Trip' became the first film made by and starring an all black cast to earn $100 million.
The hilarious "Girls Trip" was written, directed, produced and featured an all black cast–all while earning $100 Million at the box office.
11. Black women saved Alabama (and America) again.
In a special election for Alabama Senate, 98 percent of black women voted for Doug Jones, edging his victory over Roy Moore, an accused child molester.
12. Donald Glover became the first black director to win an Emmy in comedy.
Glover won in the category Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series for "Atlanta" at the 69th annual Emmy Awards.
13. Beyoncé's pregnancy announcement was the most-liked Instagram photo of 2017.
Queen Bey broke the internet (with an exceptional photo shoot) when she announced her pregnancy – and that twins were expected.
14. Newly-elected black mayors made history around the country
In cities across the United States, black elected officials became their city's first black mayor or black female mayor. The impressive list includes Jonathan McCollar of Statesboro, Georgia; Yvonne Spicer of Framingham, Massachusetts; Brendon Barber of Georgetown, South Carolina; Mary Parham-Copelan of Milledgeville; Georgia, Wilmot Collins of Helena, Montana; Vi Lyles of Charlotte, North Carolina and LaToya Cantrell of New Orleans.
15. Maame Biney became the first black woman on a U.S speedskating team
Biney, 17, became the first black woman to qualify for the U.S Olympic speedskating team.
These are just a few historic moments from the last 365 days. Imagine what memorable achievements the next year will bring.