2. You don’t have to be perfect. You just have to commit to getting better.
3. Someone is depending on you, to be exactly who you are.
4. Read more. You have time to read 12 books a year (which is more than the average American). We also aren't average.
5. Showing and sharing your emotions isn’t a sign of weakness. Paying attention to how we feel helps us become more in tune with what's actually going on.
6. Your mental health matters. You can’t “work yourself” out of your mind. Emotional trauma is very real and worthy of our time. We've been through a lot recently.
7. Living is an act of resistance. You are going to live, get out all these dreams, and thrive — despite the odds.
8. You are a descendent of kings. Seriously, don’t bow your head to life. You were built for this.
9. Their opinion won't pay your bills, or build your dreams. They won't always see your vision. Not everyone is supposed to.
10. Failure isn’t a tattoo. Learn how to take the Ls and move on. Adapt and overcome.
11. Getting this money, and doing good, aren’t mutually exclusive. You just have to be clear on your non-negotiables and stand by them.
12. You don't have to ask for permission to be excellent. Go for it.
13. “Everybody eats, b.” - Ace Boogie.
Seriously, we can all get what we want to out here. Helping people doesn’t make you a sucker. Do have boundaries though.
14. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working for someone else (even if you're from Harlem), but it pays to think like an owner. Signing the front of a check is very different than the back.
16. If someone knocks you for your 9–5, they (1) aren’t your friends and (2) they don’t know about your 6-10. Keep going.
17. Start owning when you can. Pay yourself first. These loans ain't loyal.
18. We don’t need to prove anything to anyone. You're excellent and it's perfectly okay to still be warming up.
19. Try to take care of yourself. I love Popeyes, but what we put in ourselves can actually kill us. Exercise, eat well, and get active. Put some $$ on your jumper, and invite your team out!
20. Learning how to cook is a great look. Seriously. Watch a couple Youtube videos, hit Home Goods, and start cheffing.
21. "Someday" is never going to show up on the calendar. Write that book, send that tweet, record that podcast. Don't opt out, especially not right now.
Liking this content? Now, check these out: