D’Monterrio Gibson, a Black FedEx delivery driver who said two white men attacked him in Mississippi last year, has been fired from his job. He and his attorney confirmed his termination on Monday.

“I honestly feel disrespected,” Gibson told The Associated Press not long after learning he’d been fired.

FedEx also confirmed Gibson had been let go. Meredith Miller, manager of global network communications, told The Associated Press the former driver “is no longer employed at FedEx.” According to the outlet, she did not answer any other questions about Gibson or the incident.

News of Gibson’s termination comes less than a week after a Mississippi judge cited police errors and declared a mistrial for the father and son charged in the incident, NBC News reported. During the trial, a detective testified about neglecting to provide attorneys involved in the case with a copy of Gibson’s recorded interview with police.

Carlos Moore, an attorney for Gibson, shared a copy of Gibson’s termination email with AP. It noted that his employment was terminated July 26, and also stated that FedEx tried to deliver a letter and documents to him about his firing July 31. Moore told AP that the company claims they fired the 25-year-old because he didn’t accept a a part-time, non-courier position that FedEx offered earlier in July. Moore also said he does not know whether the company gave Gibson a deadline to accept their offer.

“They can’t tell me when I should be ready to come back,” Gibson said.

Gibson said he’s been surviving on worker’s compensation leave, which amounts to around one-third of his pay, since soon after he went to authorities about the attack, which occurred Jan. 24, 2022.

That night, Gibson made FedEx deliveries in a van with the Hertz logos on each of its sides. After dropping off a package at a home on a public road with a dead end, Gregory Case tried to block Gibson’s van with a pickup truck. Brandon Case, Gregory’s son, came outside with a gun. Gibson fled the scene, driving around the truck, and shots were fired. Three rounds hit the van and some of the packages inside the vehicle.

Gregory’s defense attorney, Terrell Stubbs, told jurors during the trial that he saw what he thought was a rental van outside of his mother-in-law’s unoccupied home after dark. Brandon planned to ask the van driver (Gibson) what was going on, but he didn’t stop driving.


Gibson’s legal team submitted a lawsuit asking for $5 million from FedEx. A federal judge dismissed it on Aug. 10, deciding the suit did not prove the company discriminated against him because of his race. The suit also mentioned the city of Brookhaven, where the incident occurred, the local police chief and Brandon and Gregory. Moore said he’s gearing up to file a new civil suit in state court, seeking $10 million.

A report regarding the incident was issued by a grand jury last month. In it, the jury determined that Brookhaven Police Department officers “poorly investigate their cases,” AP reported. The grand jury, which consisted of local Brookhaven residents, wrote the department is “complacent,” “does not complete investigations in a timely manner” and shows a “lack of professionalism.” They also claimed the department “has a habit of witness blaming.” Over 60 criminal cases were referred to as the jury was making its decision.