These bunless portobello burgers are a fun spin on a classic meal
March 05, 2016 at 3:00 pm
No matter the weather, sometimes you crave a burger, some nicely seasoned fries fresh out of the fryer and an ice-cold drink to make it all complete. If you’re like me, sometimes you want to switch it up and try something different, even with this classic meal. Whether you decide to make a veggie burger or use butter lettuce for buns, you can make a burger that can satisfy your cravings. Lately, I’ve been wanting to try substituting mushrooms for buns and the recipe below was a great reference.
To make a great-tasting juicy burger you can use ground turkey, ground beef, ground chicken and even a combination of all three if you want. With the right seasonings and marinades, you can have a flavor that rivals your family favorite’s such as your dad’s or uncle’s. Depending on what I’m pairing my burger with, I use different seasonings. My staples are Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, steak seasoning, onion powder, red pepper, salt and black pepper.
This recipe is by Sew..Lets Cook. You can check it out here and build as you go.
For the mushrooms:
- Remove stems from the mushroom
- Using a spoon, scrape the gills from the bottom on the mushroom. This will give your burger and toppings a nice bed to nestle into.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add olive oil.
- Place mushrooms with the underside down into the pan.
- After approximately 5 minutes, flip over, drizzle balsamic vinegar over mushrooms, sprinkle salt and pepper, and cook the tops for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove to plate and prepare burger.
For the burger:
- After you season it, shape your meat into a patty.
- Place on the skillet (or grill).
- Season it a bit more with salt and pepper.
- Cook until there is no red for about 4-5 minutes and flip.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Place your burger on your mushroom bun, layer on your toppings and enjoy!
What’s your favorite comfort food recipe? Let us know in the comments below!
READ NEXT: 11 Copycat recipes so you don’t have to take his a** to Red Lobster