It has been one of the most epic Black History Months on record. Whether all the stars were aligned, the ancestors set this up, or however you're commemorating the levels of peak blackness that we were blessed with in February 2016, here's a look back at the moments that sent us into the church stomps and praise hand emojis all month long
15. Chris Rock takes it there at the OscarsThe verdict is still out on how well Chris Rock addressed #OscarsSoWhite, but he did call the Academy racist on their stage. For some though, it wasn't all that impressive, and of course there was that awkward Stacey Dash moment that had everyone like..
14. Rachel Dolezal names her baby Langston Attikcus
Say what you will about the transracial icon, but Rachel Dolezal not only gave birth in what will go down as one of the most impressive Black History Months of all time, but she named her baby after one of black literature's most influential voices. You have to give her credit for consistency.
13. Scalia kicks the bucketScalia died in February, during an election year, with President Obama in the White House... He may not have been a shining patron of social justice but definitely made up for it in poetic justice
Like what you're reading?
Get more in your inbox.
12. 'Gods of Egypt' flops hard at the box office.
When you get the word that the Gods of Egypt movie flopped. pic.twitter.com/IIzExwkH0U — ✪ (@holeefucc) February 27, 2016 '' The ancestors were really showing off here, weren't they?!
11. Black Twitter drops trap coversmusical clap backs need to be turned into an album or playlist, tbh
10. Literature got a lot more inclusiveFrom Marley Dias' success with #1000BlackGirlBooks, to Lisa Lucas being named the next executive director of the National Book Foundation, and President Obama nominating Carla Hayden as the 14th Librarian of Congress, February 2016 was a major push towards diversifying the publishing industry
9. This kid who wanted to be anywhere but a Trump rally
When your parents tell you can't have your own beliefs until you start paying bills pic.twitter.com/XXkDN4HSsP — Jemele Hill (@jemelehill) February 28, 2016 '' This woke baby's facial expression speaks for most Americans when faced with the unexpected Trump supporters in our midst. Bless his heart
8. #JusticeForFlint"Justice is what love looks like in public." -Cornel West To all those who put this event together, on Oscar night, we salute you
7. Prince's Passport Photo
' Seriously, how can we not?
PRINCE ROGERS NELSON::PASSPORT PICTURE 2/11/16 pic.twitter.com/lgdLCXQ9y2— Prince3EG (@Prince3EG) February 11, 2016'
6. Melissa Harris-Perry takes a standWhether it was racially motivated or not, the implications were there, and for Harris-Perry to take a stand for herself and her work, should be a leading example that we own ourselves and our stories, before any network thinks that they can control our narratives. We salute you, and #nerdland goes wherever MHP goes
5. Black People's Greetings
#BlackMenGreetings when y'all first meet pic.twitter.com/Ibxav6Mkx4 — younggifted&BLACK (@reallifedemo) February 20, 2016 '' From the men not being able to call it, to the women shouting out their girls, these two Black Twitter moments will go down as an absolute 2016 favorite!
4. Kendrick Lamar's performance at the Grammy AwardsPowerful, dynamic, and revolutionary, Kendrick Lamar set the Grammy stage ablaze with this beautiful expression of blackness from Compton to the motherland. It's true, he won so much more than just the awards, he won and wore his audacity to be unapologetically black
3. Beyoncé's FormationBeyoncé claimed an entire weekend of the month, and kept our attention for the weeks to follow with think pieces and CNN panels. From dropping the music video for Formation, to her Black Panther performance at the Super Bowl, and then announcing her Formation tour that ignited a firestorm of debate about security, this was a moment of peak blackness that will linger for the months to come
2. Black Twitter...
When you go to sleep on February 28 and wake up the next morning and it's still Black History Month pic.twitter.com/3M4Se9Ypvm — wikipedia brown (@eveewing) February 29, 2016'
For providing joy...
So #cfbgoftheweek is Virginia McLaurin because I mean...look at her. 106 years old & carefree (and adorable) af. pic.twitter.com/pqIKKIW6fa — cfbg tips; (@cfbgtips) February 28, 2016 '
On all 29 days of this year's #BHM. ✊🏾✊🏿✊🏽
white people: "TODAYS THE LAST DAY OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH NOW STOP THROWING HOW BLACK YOU ARE IN OUR FACES" me: pic.twitter.com/HUSk1kMk4o— Wine Daddy. (@TRYVNS) February 28, 2016'
1. The White House had the blackest Black History Month of all time
What'd he say? #RayCharlesTribute https://t.co/XhphyLrcRI — The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 27, 2016 '