Stephon Clark's Family Responds After California Attorneys Request NFL Remove PSA On The Late Father
The California District Attorneys Association wants the NFL to take down a PSA about Stephon Clark.
August 06, 2020 at 8:06 pm
The grandmother of Stephon Clark spoke passionately at a press conference on Wednesday following a publicized letter from the California District Attorneys Association (CDAA).
The letter is calling for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to take down a video the league released in July about Clark, who in 2018 was shot eight times and killed on video in his grandmother's backyard when police said they mistook his cellphone for a weapon, reports Insider.
In its letter, the CDAA disputes the content of the 94-second video, which features the 22-year-old's mother, Se’Quette Clark, narrating a story about him.
“You don't have no kind of conscience. What type of person are you? Are you human or what? I don't know where you came from, but that was awful what you have done to our family. And I’m fighting for justice until the day I die,” Sequita Clark, his grandmother, said at the press conference in reference to Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert according to KCRA.
CDAA President Vern Pierson wrote in the letter that “the video misrepresents the facts of this tragic incident.”
"Helicopter footage and other physical evidence established that Mr. Clark committed several crimes including car burglary, vandalism and an attempted residential burglary. Mr. Clark was running from officers when he entered the backyard of his grandmother and took a shooting stance and advanced on officers who believed he had a gun," the letter stated.
"Less than 48 hours prior to the events that took his life, Mr. Clark was involved in a domestic violence incident with the mother of his children rendering him suicidal. We would respectfully ask that you reexamine the factual findings of Stephon Clark’s death and produce a video that accurately depicts the conduct of all concerned in an officer involved shooting,” the letter added.
Stephon's brother, Stevante Clark, called the letter a "smear campaign" and said ties between the police union and district attorney were behind the push to have the video removed.
“She is not representing the fights and the rights and the causes of the underserved, underrepresented at-risk communities. She has failed and that's why she needs to be recalled,” he said.
Se’Quette said her son's public service announcement was the fifth one produced by the NFL and Roc Nation.
"And in the history of them putting these out, no other district attorneys have contradicted, or attempted to assassinate, or have taken down these PSAs. What this shows to me is that they're afraid of the truth coming out. What this shows to me is that they are trying to justify their actions," she said.
Last year, Schubert declined to press charges against Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet, the two officers who shot Stephon, The New York Times reported.
"Since Schubert has been in office, there have been over 50 cases of excessive or deadly force by police officers. Because of her receipt of funds donated by the police unions to her political campaign, she puts their concerns as her priority and has never filed charges against police officers. She uses the police bill of rights as justification,” Se’Quette said at the press conference.
Both the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento reviewed the case and declined to press charges. But the city paid Stephon's family $2.4 million to settle a civil rights lawsuit.
“My family will never be the same without Stephon,” Se’Quette said in the PSA.