Millions of Americans could lose SNAP benefits well into 2019 amid the federal government shutdown. According to NBC News, the USDA does not have the money to pay for the 39 million people who receive an average of $245.28 per month for food purchases because of the prolonged shutdown.
Congresswoman Karen Bass deemed the shutdown a distraction during an interview with the major news network. The results are leaving millions unable to afford food.
“If the shutdown continues, then you will literally have millions of people that will not be able to afford food,” the U.S. Representative for California's 37th said. “And I think this is just absolutely unconscionable.”
Funding for the program was solidified through January following a standoff, which began December 22, with Donald Trump after he demanded $5.7 billion in funding for the U.S. border wall.
The Washington Post reported a SNAP “contingency” fund of $3 billion was appropriated by lawmakers that could potentially cover 64 percent of February funding.
“People in this country will go hungry,” U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro for Connecticut's 3rd Congressional District told the Post. “It’s simple. They go hungry. . . . These are working people. We’re not talking about people who are dogging it.”
Blavity reported about a similar shutdown last year which furloughed federal workers and delayed tax returns.
Blavitize your inbox! Join our daily newsletter for fresh stories and breaking news.
Now, check these out: