This WorldPride Campaign Powerfully Celebrates More Than 30 LGBTQIA+ Luminaries
The campaign also helps to recognize the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising
April 18, 2019 at 12:02 am
It’s the time of year for the largest pride celebration in the world!
WorldPride is coming to New York City this year and to recognize the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, it’s only fitting to celebrate the colorful event in the Big Apple.
As the city gears up to commemorate a half-century of LGBTQIA+ liberation in June, NYC Pride revealed the 2019 official campaign for WorldPride, Stonewall 50, which features over 30 portraits of leaders and luminaries within the LGBTQIA+ movement.
The campaign was photographed by Mamadi Doumbouya, a New York City-based photographer who specializes in portraiture, lifestyle, storytelling and social content. Doumbouya captures the essence of queer liberation across the world in the visual project.
Each leader featured in the campaign represents the 25-plus events planned from Pride Island, the Opening Ceremony to GameChangers and the Rally: Stonewall 50 Commemoration.
Those who are recognized include:
● Lorelei Black, fine art model
● Victoria Cruz, LGBTQIA+ transgender activist
● River Gallo, Latinx and intersex filmmaker
● Ty Defoe, two-spirit activist
● Allison Graham, Jamaican-born menswear stylist
● Blair Imani, bisexual Muslim activist
● Quil Lemons, photographer
● Myles Loftin, photographer
● Esperanza Maria, blogger and writer of The Sunflower Experience
● Cherrelle Moore, founder of Cherry Pose
● Devin-Norelle, writer, model and trans advocate
● Tracey “Africa” Norman, first black transgender model to appear on a box of Clairol
● Dr. Wilhelmina Perry, Co-Founder of LGBT Faith Leaders of African Descent
● Team 2 Moms, moms and LGBTQIA+ advocates
“The talented leaders and influencers from the LGBTQIA+ community displayed within the campaign represent the unique span of our community and provide visibility and representation to those who’ve paved the way and the next wave of innovators,” says Eboni Munn, communications manager for NYC Pride, who also cast and curated the campaign.
NYC Pride’s campaign collaborated with creative agency, Bellweather Agency, to feature historical images from NYC Pride’s archives. Images were also drawn from The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center, and the New York Public Library’s Diana Davies’ photographs collection.
From rallies to parties to lectures, attendees will be able to participate in over 50 free and ticketed events across the city. Some will focus on subjects such as history and learning, music, art, film, politics, human rights, religion and spirituality and much more!
Notable events to especially be on the lookout for include the NYC Pride March, PrideFest and Pride Island. The Human Rights Conference, GameChangers and culinary event Savor Pride are just some of the popular events that are returning this year
NYC WorldPride 2019 | Stonewall 50 is set to take place June 1-30.
Ready to celebrate individuals from different walks of life all month long? For a calendar of WorldPride 2019 | Stonewall 50 events, visit: www.worldpride.org.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with NYC Pride.