11 Books Of Poetry For Black Girls By Black And Brown Authors
Poetry for black girls, geared towards healing.
July 14, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Being a black girl that loves poetry has always been a challenge for me. Most of the books of poetry that I read as a young girl growing up were written by white authors. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoyed them, but I never really felt connected to the content. I read poetry about nature, love and all of that beautiful stuff, but rarely found one that I could fully relate to.Then I stumbled upon Words from a Wanderer by Alex Elle and since then, I have been on a quest to find books of poetry written by black and brown authors, especially women. I have found many incredible books, but I'm sharing my absolute favorites that I think every poetry loving black and brown girl should have.
1. Words from a Wanderer by Alex Elle
2. Neon Soul by Alex Elle
3. Salt by Nayyirah Waheed
4. Soft Magic by Upile Chisala
5. Nectar by Upile Chisala
6. Questions for Ada by Ijeoma Umebinyuo
7. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
8. The Chaos of Longing by K. Y Robinson
9. Bone by Yrsa Daley-Ward
10. The Sweetness in Soil by Q. Gibson
11. The Flowering Woman by Q. Gibson