Taking care of your body is an important part of self-care. Not only does that include exercising and eating right, it also includes having proper hygiene. Quiet as it’s kept, many women experience problems with or questions about with vaginal odor, and are often unaware of what to do about it.
Here are 13 easy ways to maintain pristine feminine hygiene:
1. Keep your body clean at all times. When washing, use anti-bacterial soap and lukewarm water. Avoid scented soaps that can throw off your pH balance.
2. Wear cotton underwear. It might not always be the cutest, but it keeps the area dry. Too much moisture can lead to odors and doesn’t allow the area to breathe properly.
3. Eating healthy will improve feminine hygiene. Adding yogurt to your daily diet is a great way to control odors.
4. Change your tampons/pads regularly to not only avoid odor but infections.
5. Never douche! A great substitute for douching is adding a little bit of sea salt and apple cider vinegar to your bath which can reduce odor and kill bacteria.
6. Avoid tight clothing, especially tight underwear. Anything that causes the area to sweat is bad news.
7. Sleep without underwear. It is the perfect time to allow the area to breathe.
8. Wash underwear in hot water in order to kill any bacteria. Bacteria left on underwear can lead to infections and odors.
9. Wear condoms during sex to prevent contracting of sexually transmitted infections. STIs such as gonorrhea and chlamydia can cause a feminine odor, itching and discharge.
10. Losing weight can also help improve feminine hygiene. Sometimes weight can be attributed to the amount of perspiration we experience. If we lose weight, we might not sweat as much in that area.
11. Shave or trim your pubic hair often. Though the hair itself doesn’t cause odors, it can be a place for bacteria to thrive even after cleaning.
12. Avoid taking hot showers or baths. Hot showers will kill all of the natural bacteria in our bodies, which can then throw off the pH balance and lead to feminine odors.
13. Wear panty liners for vaginal discharge. Using a panty liner can prevent the underwear from becoming sweaty which can lead to an odor.
What are your tips for improving feminine hygiene? Let us know in the comments below!