Accused Gunman In Pop Smoke's Death Asks For Murder Charge To Be Dropped
The alleged gunman was "aware" there was a weapon but insisted a flower vase be used instead if necessary, his attorney said.
October 18, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Corey Walker, one of the men charged with the death of Pop Smoke, is requesting for the court to drop the murder charges against him, saying he wasn't one of the shooters in the crime.
According to Hot97, Walker and his lawyer, Christopher Darden, had a court hearing last Friday where the two argued Walker was not one of the shooters, nor was he in the house at the time of the rapper's death.
“There is no evidence that the defendant had any prior criminal experience with his co-suspects or that he knew any one of them was particularly violent or inclined to shoot and kill the victim,” court documents obtained by The Shade Room stated.
Pop Smoke’s accused killer, Corey Walker appeared in court yesterday. He exclaims that it wasn’t his intention to kill the rapper. He wanted to hit him with a flower vase instead of shooting him.— My Mixtapez (@mymixtapez) October 16, 2021
📸: SUZANNE CORDEIRO/ GettyImages pic.twitter.com/OzJODnyPyQ
“The defendant did all he could to prevent the death of the victim given the nature of the crime. The defendant was not present inside the house at the time of the shooting, so there was nothing he could have done to prevent the shooting once the suspects were inside," the documents continued.
According to Rolling Stone, Walker was aware that "a weapon was being used" but insisted that it not be used, adding they should use a flower vase "if it became necessary."
Page Six reports prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty for Walker. If found guilty on the murder charge, though, he could face a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
Pop Smoke was killed in a tragic home invasion on Feb. 19, 2020. Officials said last year that officers responded to a call at Pop Smoke's short-term Los Angeles rental home around 4 a.m. Upon entering the home, they discovered the rapper in severe condition. Per NBC 4, he was quickly transported to Cedars-Sinai hospital, where he was eventually pronounced dead.
Authorities say the "Welcome to the Party" rapper may have given his address up on social media, prompting the events that took place. Walker was the only person of adult age involved in the robbery and invasion. The three others were charged with murder in juvenile court.
“When officers arrived there approximately six minutes later, they discovered a victim inside the house had been shot,” LAPD Capt. Steve Lurie said. “They called the fire department, who arrived and transported that victim to Cedars-Sinai, where he was pronounced dead.”
Since his death, the artist's music has continued to live on, with two posthumous albums released. He also won the top Billboard 200 album for his project Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon earlier this year. His mother, Audrey Jackson, accepted the award on his behalf, giving an emotional speech on the stage.
She began by thanking her son's fans “for honoring the life and spirit of my son so much that he continues to manifest as if he were still here in the flesh."
“He created music for the kid who has to sleep four in a room, the kid who has to figure out how to get to school each day so he can graduate and make his mom proud,” Jackson continued. “He did this so that 14-year-olds would not have to kill to prove that they are somebody. That is the irony in this.”