Bill Cosby Accuser Lili Bernard Files Civil Lawsuit: ‘I Look Forward To Being Heard’
Lili Bernard said the once highly regarded comedian persuaded her to Atlantic City as part of a "mentoring relationship."
October 14, 2021 at 7:13 pm
One of the women who accused Bill Cosby of raping her is now filing a civil lawsuit against the actor, The Daily Beast reports.
Lili Bernard, who guest-starred on The Cosby Show, said she has "waited a long time to be able to pursue my case in court, and I look forward to being heard and to hold Cosby accountable for what he did to me."
The lawsuit was filed in New Jersey, which passed a law that grants sexual abuse survivors a two-year window to take their alleged abusers to court regardless of when the incident occurred, NBC 10 reports.
Bernard said while in Atlantic City in August 1990, the comedian gave her a supposed non-alcoholic drink that caused her to pass out. She said she remembers waking up with Cosby lying naked on top of her, The Daily Beast reports. NBC 10 reports Bernard stated in the lawsuit that Cosby also was undressing her against her wishes.
She passed out again before waking up and being raped and later ended up in a bathroom jacuzzi.
A young actress at the time, Bernard said the comedian persuaded her to join him in Atlantic City as part of a "mentoring relationship," offering the chance to be featured on the sitcom.
“Although it occurred long ago, I still live with the fear, pain, and shame every day of my life,” she said.
A spokesperson for the once-beloved actor referred to "look back provisions" as unconstitutional.
"This is just another attempt to abuse the legal process, by opening up the flood gates for people, who never presented an ounce of evidence, proof, truth and/or facts, in order to substantiate their alleged allegations," Andrew Wyatt wrote. "Mr. Cosby continues to maintain steadfast in his innocence and will vigorously fight ANY alleged allegations waged against him and is willing and able to take this fight to the highest court in these United States of America."
Bernard is seeking $125 million in damages in her civil lawsuit.
The 84-year-old was one of the first prominent figures to come under scrutiny and be sent to trial during the #MeToo movement.
Back in July, Cosby was released from prison after serving more than two years after he was convicted for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand, as Blavity previously reported. The conviction was later overturned due to a technicality. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ultimately ruled that he had been denied a fair trial.