The African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) has announced the 2020 class of honorees for the AAFCA Special Achievement Awards.
“AAFCA Special Achievement Awards are given to individuals whose careers have impacted the entertainment industry,” said Gil Robertson, AAFCA co-founder/CEO. “They include a mix of individuals from various corners of the industry who have distinguished themselves in their work, making a powerful and wide-reaching impact. Many of them we celebrate for their long-term contributions while others are emerging figures who, in a relatively short time, have made immediate contributions while foreshadowing the promise of greater things to come.”
Here are the honorees:
- The Game Changer Award will go to Clarence Avant, who was chronicled in Netflix’s The Black Godfather
- The Legacy Award will go to former Paramount chair Sherry Lansing
- The Roger Ebert Award will go to film critic and Ebert’s longtime colleague Richard Roeper
- The Ashley Boone Award will go to Warner Bros. pictures senior vice president of film production, Niija Kuykendall
- The Breakout Filmmaker Award will go to director Matthew A. Cherry
- The Horizon Award will go to director Deon Taylor
- AAFCA’s Salute To Excellence Award will go to The National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP)
- The Nissan Innovator Award will go to Kenny Leon
Former special achievement nominees include Ruth E. Carter, Tendo Nagenda, Edward James Olmos and more.
“Like previous recipients, members of our 2020 class of honorees have demonstrated the highest standards of excellence in their respective spheres while also creating spaces that have allowed others who follow to reach even greater heights. We look forward to welcoming them to the AAFCA circle of excellence in April,” added Robertson.
The awards will be given out at a luncheon on April 11, 2020, in the Crystal Ballroom at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades.
Photo: Getty Images
From Harlem to Hollywood, get the Black entertainment news you need in your inbox daily.