With Being Mary Jane coming to an end on BET and Survivor’s Remorse done at Starz, one of the latter show’s stars, Erica Ash, will lead a new show for BET.
She will star in a legal drama, called In Contempt. The show has a 10-episode, straight-to-series order at the network.
According to THR, “The procedural is in the fast-paced world of a legal aid office in New York City and follows Gwen Sullivan (Ash), an opinionated attorney whose passion for her job and clients make her arguably the most talented public defender in her district.”
Aside from Ash, it will also star:
- Megan Hutchings as Tracy Campbell, a public defender and Gwen’s friend and roommate.
- Christian Keyes as Charlie Riggs, an attorney with an ego who is Gwen’s boss and friend with benefits.
- Mouna Traoré as Vanessa Winters, a rookie attorney learning what it means to be woke.
- Tobias Truvillion as Bennett Sherman, Gwen’s longtime secret crush and former law professor.
- Richard Lawson as Earl Sullivan, Gwen’s father.
- Ronnie Rowe Jr. as Gwen’s professional nemesis
- Daniel Kash, as Gwen’s boss.
Terri Kopp (Law & Order, BET’s Rebel) is the showrunner. Lance Samuels and Daniel Iron exec produce. BET fully owns this show.
This is a part of BET continuing to build up their original, scripted programming. They are airing the new seasons of Hit the Floor and The Breaks (which originally ran on sister station VH1), and a new season of The Quad.
Ash is also starring in the upcoming film, Uncle Drew, with Lil Rel Howery.