The husband of a member of President Donald Trump’s cabinet has allegedly been barred from the headquarters of the cabinet secretary’s department after he was accused of sexually assaulting at least two members of her staff. The shocking revelation adds to the woes of a top Trump official who is facing a separate scandal over accusations that she engaged in an extramarital affair with a member of her staff and improperly used state resources to do so.
Labor secretary’s husband banned after allegations of sexual assault
The New York Times reported Thursday that Dr. Shawn DeRemer, the husband of Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer, was banned from the Department of Labor’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. The move was taken, according to The New York Times, after at least two female staffers reported that DeRemer had sexually assaulted them. At least one of the incidents of inappropriate touching, occurring the morning of Dec. 18, was captured on video by security cameras, according to sources at the Department of Labor who spoke to The New York Times on the condition of anonymity. The Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department is currently investigating possible forced sexual contact at the department headquarters, according to a police report viewed by The New York Times. After internal investigators learned of the women’s accusations, Dr. DeRemer was banned from the building where he had frequently visited, according to a building notice reviewed by The New York Times.
Second major scandal for Labor secretary in recent months
The complaints about Dr. DeRemer came to light during an ongoing investigation into Secretary Chavez-DeRemer’s conduct. The secretary has been accused of having an extramarital affair with a separate employee, a member of her security team, and accused of misusing Labor Department resources. As the New York Post first reported, a complaint was filed with the Office of Inspector General of the Department of Labor alleging the inappropriate relationship between Chavez-DeRemer and her subordinate. The complaint also accuses her of other offenses, including drinking while at work and sending employees to run personal errands. She has also been accused of “travel fraud” for directing two of her aides, her chief of staff and deputy chief of staff, to “make up” official trips, paid for with government funds, which were actually personal trips with the secretary’s family or friends. These two aides and the security guard at the center of the affair allegation have all been placed on leave as the investigation continues.
Chavez-DeRemer has implemented the Trump agenda
Both Chavez-DeRemer and her husband have denied the accusations against them. Dr. DeRemer disputes the accusations of sexual assault. “I have not done any of this, and I categorically deny these things. I will absolutely, categorically fight everything in this,” he said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. According to the New York Post, Secretary Chavez-DeRemer said through a spokesperson, “Secretary Chavez-DeRemer firmly denies any allegations of wrongdoing. Her utmost priority remains to advance President Trump’s agenda by continuing her hard and successful work for the betterment of the American people.” As she referenced in her statement, Chavez-DeRemer, a former Republican congresswoman from Oregon, has pushed Trump’s policies in the Department of Labor. This has included slashing jobs within the department and suspending operations of many Job Corps centers. The Labor Department under Chavez-DeRemer has also been accused of appealing to fascist ideas after posting a slogan reminiscent of, but not identical to, one used in Nazi Germany.
So far, it appears that the Trump administration has stood by Chavez-DeRemer, who has been a faithful aide to Trump as he pushes his agenda. Even so, the growing scandals and accusations of wrongdoing surrounding her, and now her husband, may be putting Chavez-DeRemer’s future within the Labor Department in doubt.
