President Donald Trump announced Thursday that the U.S. will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a move that has created confusion as it follows recent efforts by his administration to reduce the American military presence in Europe.

What did Trump say about increasing military presence in Poland?

In a Truth Social post that evening, Trump confirmed that his decision was tied to his strong relationship with newly elected, right-wing conservative Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he previously endorsed, according to CNN and The Associated Press.

“Based on the successful election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said.

The announcement came more than a week after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth halted a planned troop rotation through Poland and after Trump ordered, in early May, the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany.

NATO allies were reportedly blindsided by the announcement and America’s role in Europe

U.S. officials also confirmed that about 4,000 service members would not be deployed to Poland, signaling shifting priorities in U.S. military strategy, per CNN and The Associated Press.

However, officials have provided conflicting signals about whether troop levels in Poland will actually increase. Trump’s plans have created uncertainty about America’s military presence in Europe, surprising NATO allies. The administration has criticized some allies for opposing the war in Iran and failing to provide what it sees as sufficient support for the U.S.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Poland’s prime minister and assured him that the U.S. “retains a strong military presence in Poland,” according to ABC News.

“Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself. Other NATO allies should follow suit,” the statement added.

Details on U.S. military deployment to Poland remain unclear

A Polish official told the outlet that the Polish government credited a “diplomatic offensive” in Washington with helping counter the planned troop reduction.

Details surrounding Trump’s troop announcement remain unclear, as officials have not specified which troops will be sent to Poland, when they would deploy or where they would come from.

Last week, the Pentagon announced that a 4,200-member Army brigade bound for Poland would no longer deploy. The Polish official said it remains unclear whether the delayed brigade from Fort Hood, Texas, will move forward as initially planned or whether the 5,000 troops Trump announced could come from Germany or elsewhere, per ABC News.