A young girl celebrating her seventh birthday with her family at the Krewe of Tucks parade in New Orleans on Saturday experienced a disturbing moment when she caught a Black doll with noose-like beads around its neck thrown from a parade float.
The incident sparked backlash among city officials and residents, as the doll with beads around its neck evoked the painful history of racial terror, when nooses were used to lynch Black Americans during slavery, the Jim Crow era and beyond.
The young girl’s mother on the incident: ‘At first I was actually in shock.’
The girl’s mother, Shayna Lee, spoke out about the incident, saying she was shocked to see something like that during the parade.
“At first I was actually in shock. I was because I was like… there is no way, out of all things that somebody could have thrown off of a float,” Lee told 4WWL. “This… And it’s Black History Month. I’m not understanding how I, of all people or my family, was the chosen one to get this doll. And I was very upset because we have been teaching my daughter about, you know, Black history and racism and things like that.”
Lee said she also had to explain the harsh truth behind why she could not keep the doll.
She said, “It really just hurt that her innocence was taken away because I had to expose her to a darker side of racism and tell her why she wasn’t allowed to play with it. And she was asking to keep the doll.”
What was the Krewe of Tucks organization’s response?
Videos and photos of the incident have since circulated on social media, showing the doll hanging from a strand of beads among other necklaces before being tossed to paradegoers in the crowd, according to USA Today.
On Sunday, the Krewe of Tucks organization released a statement condemning the incident and confirming that it is launching an investigation into the float that was part of the event.
“This behavior is intolerable and completely contrary to the beliefs and values that the Krewe of Tucks holds,” the organization said via Instagram.
“We intend to fully investigate this incident and the responsible riders will no longer be permitted to have any association with the parade,” the statement read. “The leadership wishes this had been brought to our attention during the parade because it would have been addressed immediately. This was brought to our attention through social media and we are immediately investigating.”
The organization stated that it was “offended” by the actions on the float and that such behavior would not be tolerated.
“Mardi Gras is a celebration of New Orleans and its diverse and rich culture,” the statement continued. “We apologize for this racist display during our parade and please know this is not who we are and we will address this swiftly.”
Founded in 1969 by Loyola University students, the Krewe of Tucks is known for its style and humor. It initially began as a small nighttime parade and has since grown into a large daytime procession, stretching into downtown New Orleans. The organization has about 2,500 members and a reputation for high energy and for putting on a great show for the crowd, according to its website.
New Orleans Mayor Helena Moreno said ‘the display is deeply offensive’
New Orleans Mayor Helena Moreno also condemned the float’s actions, calling it a “racist display” and calling for the full identification of the persons behind it.
“Let me be clear: the display is deeply offensive, unacceptable, and has no place in our city. New Orleans is built on respect, diversity, and inclusion and actions that seek to demean or intimidate any member of our community violate the very spirit of who we are,” Moreno said in a statement shared on her official Instagram account.
In her caption, she wrote in part, “Our celebrations, particularly those where our children and families attend, should be spaces of joy and unity, not exposure to hateful or harmful imagery.”
She added, “I along with Council President Morrell have contacted Krewe of Tucks leadership to identify those responsible and ensure full accountability.”
