How to register to vote
Find your state deadline here.
Are you eligible? You must say yes to all of these:
- Are you a U.S. citizen? (You can't vote if you're a permanent resident i.e. green card holder.)
- Will you be 18 years old by the election date? Age requirements by state & exceptions
- Have you lived in your state for 30 days (depending on state)? Find registry requirements here.
- Do you meet the criminal record requirements? (You have more rights than you think even if you’re a convicted felon. Only in Florida, Kentucky and Iowa are convicted felons never allowed to vote.) Find requirements here.
- By state: Find here
- By third party (if your state doesn’t offer online registration): Register here
- What you will need: (Check here for ID questions)
- Valid driver’s license (for state you’re registering in) OR
- ID Card (for state you’re registering in) OR
- Last 4 digits of your social security number
Registering another way:
- In person at: DMV or State/local voter registration (Country Registrar) or Election Offices
- By mail: PDF to Download, Print and Mail
- By absentee ballot. Click Here for preliminary information if you’re that excited about this topic.