A Running List Of Celebrities Who Have Recovered From Coronavirus
Celebs who had once tested positive for the virus have now recovered.
April 24, 2020 at 10:20 pm
The novel coronavirus has created a global pandemic. Across the nation, children have been barred from schools. The virus has resulted in Hollywood productions being shut down and release dates being pushed back, and in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has mandated bars, restaurants and casinos be closed. You can, however, get a takeout meal or cocktail to-go, according to Gothamist.
It was first thought that only seniors and those with weakened immune systems were susceptible to catching the virus, but as new cases increase daily, some of those infected have come as a shock. There has been a growing number of celebrities who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 but have since recovered.
Weeks after Houston, Texas, rapper Slim Thug announced that he tested positive for the coronavirus, he confirmed that he has made a full recovery, The Source reported.
He took to Instagram to share a screenshot of his negative test results.
When the rapper first shared that he contracted the virus, he put up a video on Instagram sharing the news.
"No games being played," he said in an Instagram video. "As careful as I've been self-quarantined and staying home, I might have gotten something to eat or something or did some stuff like that — simple stuff like that, nothing crazy —stayed in my truck, had masks, gloves, everything on. And my test came back positive."
Although the rapper told his fans that he feels fine now, just days before he said he had a fever and a cough.
Idris Elba and Sabrina Dhowre Elba
Actor Idris Elba recently confirmed his coronavirus diagnosis. He revealed to the world via Twitter that he had tested positive for the virus after interacting with someone who had contracted it, as Blavity previously reported.
This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing 👊🏾👊🏾 No panic. pic.twitter.com/Lg7HVMZglZ— Idris Elba (@idriselba) March 16, 2020
"This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic," Elba said while sitting next to his wife Sabrina Dhowre Elba.
Just a week after announcing his diagnosis, Dhowre Elba announced she had contracted the virus. Although the 30-year-old quarantined alongside her husband, Elba said it was likely she contacted the virus at the same time.
Since recovering from the virus, Elba and his wife have partnered with the United Nations to help protect farmers and food producers in rural areas
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson
View this post on Instagram
Hello folks. @ritawilson and I want to thank everyone here Down Under who are taking such good care of us. We have Covid-19 and are in isolation so we do not spread it to anyone else. There are those for whom it could lead to a very serious illness. We are taking it one-day-at-a-time. There are things we can all do to get through this by following the advice of experts and taking care of ourselves and each other, no? Remember, despite all the current events, there is no crying in baseball. Hanx
Tom Hanks took to his personal Instagram to announce that both he and his wife Rita Wilson had tested positive for COVID-19 while filming abroad. Hanks is in Australia working on an untitled Elvis Presley movie for Warner Bros, and the couple started to feel under the weather before being tested, reports CNN.
“We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive,” Hanks wrote.
The couple later returned back to the states after remaining in quarantine in Australia and recovering.
Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert
On March 9, Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert made light of coronavirus concerns by jokingly touching every mic at a press conference. Days later, the entire NBA season was canceled after Gobert became the first NBA player to test positive for the virus, as Blavity previously reported.
Gobert took to his Instagram to voice his “embarrassment” and to apologize to the people he may have endangered.
“At the time, I had no idea I was even infected. I was careless and make no excuse. I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously,” said Gobert.
View this post on Instagram
I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of concern and support over the last 24 hours. I have gone through so many emotions since learning of my diagnosis…mostly fear, anxiety, and embarrassment. The first and most important thing is I would like to publicly apologize to the people that I may have endangered. At the time, I had no idea I was even infected. I was careless and make no excuse. I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously. I will do whatever I can to support using my experience as way to educate others and prevent the spread of this virus . I am under great care and will fully recover. Thank you again for all your support. I encourage everyone to take all of the steps to stay safe and healthy. Love.
At the end of March, the NBA announced that Gobert had recovered from the virus as well as the other Jazz players who tested positive.
"The UDOH has determined that all Jazz players and staff, including two who tested positive for the novel Coronavirus, no longer pose a risk of infection to others," NBA.com reported.
Utah Jazz’s Donovan Mitchell
View this post on Instagram
Thanks to everyone who has been reaching out since hearing the news about my positive test. We are all learning more about the seriousness of this situation and hopefully people can continue to educate themselves and realize that they need to behave responsibly both for their own health and for the well being of those around them. I appreciate the authorities in Oklahoma who were helpful with the testing process and everyone from the @utahjazz who have been so supportive. I am going to keep following the advice of our medical staff and hope that we can all come together and be there for each other and our neighbors who need our help❤️🕷
Donovan Mitchell became the second NBA player to test positive for the coronavirus. Uncoincidentally, Mitchell sat next to Gobert on the team plane before Gobert’s positive test, according to the New York Post.
Mitchell said the scariest part of his diagnosis is that he is seemingly healthy.
"I keep making the joke to people when they ask, 'If you were to tell me I'm about to play in a seven-game series tomorrow, I'd be ready to lace up," he told Good Morning America.
Mitchell, along with Golbert, was cleared by the Utah Department of Health at the end of March. Shortly after the NBA announced the two men were cleared, Mitchell posted the praying hands emoji on Twitter.
Detroit Pistons’ Christian Wood
As a testament to the serious nature of the disease, a third NBA player, Christian Wood, tested positive for COVID-19 according to CBS Sports. The Pistons played against the Jazz on March 7, before both teams were quarantined. Wood was matched up against Gobert, who would become the first in the league to be diagnosed.
The Pistons released a statement on March 15.
“A player on the Detroit Pistons, who is under the care of team medical staff and in self-isolation since Wednesday night, was tested for COVID-19,” the statement read. “The health and safety of our players, our organization, those throughout our league, and all those potentially impacted by this situation is paramount.”
USA Today later reported that Wood, the only Pistons player to contract the virus, had since fully recovered.
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau
View this post on Instagram
Kindness is always the answer… and today we’re all wearing pink to stand up against bullying and discrimination. On #PinkShirtDay and every day, let’s lift each other up and build a world where people are free to be themselves and all our hearts are filled with kindness. 💖 La compassion et le respect sont toujours la réponse… et aujourd'hui nous portons tous du rose pour dénoncer l’intimidation et la discrimination. En cette #JournéeDuChandailRose et à tous les jours également, épaulons-nous les uns les autres et bâtissons un monde où les gens sont libres d’être qui ils sont et où nos cœurs sont remplis d’amour et de gentillesse.
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, the wife of Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, has also tested positive for the novel coronavirus. In a statement released by Trudeau’s office on Thursday, Trudeau stated that Grégoire Trudeau was "in good health with no symptoms," according to NPR.
After recovering from the virus, Grégoire Trudeau said she was "feeling so much better," AP News reported.
Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant has also tested positive for COVID-19 according to a report from WGN-TV. He's one of four players on the team to contract the virus. Durant said he didn't feel sick. The Brooklyn Nets released a statement amid the diagnoses, in which they shared that only one of the four players are exhibiting symptoms of the virus.
A statement from the Brooklyn Nets: pic.twitter.com/QnETcDEHCJ— Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) March 17, 2020
Daniel Dae Kim
Just 10 days after actor Daniel Dae Kim revealed that he tested positive for COVID-19, he said he was "virus-free." Kim was in quarantine in his home in Hawaii. The Lost star said he had been asymptomatic, until his flight home, when he noticed some “scratchiness” in his throat. Later that night, more symptoms began to appear.
In the video, Kim also spoke out against xenophobia and racism against Asians that have been more prevalent since the outbreak.
“Please, please stop the prejudice and senseless violence against Asian people,” he said. “Yes, I’m Asian. And yes, I have coronavirus. But I did not get it from China, I got it in America. In New York City. Despite what certain political leaders want to call it, I don’t consider the place where it’s from as important as the people who are sick and dying.”
In a March 30 Instagram post, comedian Michael Yo shared that he was hospitalized for eight days because of COVID-19. The radio host said he had both pneumonia and the coronavirus.
“You know if you’re watching the news, that’s the deadly combo right there. Man it was scary. When I checked in the doctors said ‘this is going to go good fast or it’s going to go really bad fast.'”
Yo is back home now and is still quarantining.
Chris CuomoCNN anchor and brother to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Chris Cuomo, tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The journalist said in a Twitter post that he hopes he did not infect his wife and kids.
“I have been exposed to people in recent days who have subsequently tested positive and I had fever, chills and shortness of breath.”reunited with his family and was seen in an Instagram video emerging from the basement.
NBA veteran Jason Collins tested positive for the coronavirus as he said on Twitter. He said he first experienced symptoms on March 11.
“I believe I got it while on a trip to NYC at the beginning of the month for the Brooklyn Nets Pride night game,” he wrote in a Twitter post.
He thanked the healthcare professionals who are on the frontlines.
On Saturday I went to the ER and got tested and spoke with some docs about the tightness in my chest. I’m home now resting but still experiencing some tightness and might go back to the hospital later today. On Saturday my lungs were clear, which obviously is good.— Jason Collins (@jasoncollins98) March 24, 2020
After battling the virus for 14 days, Collins said he is no longer experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
Please stay safe, folks.